Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Things I've Learned My First Week in Sasebo!

  Things I've Learned My First Week in Sasebo....


1. My children do not like walking and will complain about it every chance they get.


2. I am very happy to spend the day exploring the base and am anxious to get out and about to see the two housing areas and what they have to offer, as well as the rest of Sasebo.

3. It really stinks that we don’t have a vehicle. It makes it very hard to get to places further away, especially when referring to #1.

4. My husband looks handsome in his NWU’s even though he hates them.

5. Japanese vending machines are REALLY cool and unlike anything in America.

6. When backing up in a vehicle you must honk the horn to signal your back up.

7. It takes forever for the water to boil on the stove, as Japanese appliances don’t use 60 hertz power..

8. The NEX has had everything that I’ve needed or wanted in the brand I wanted it thus far.

9.The girls are very, very bothered by all the trash in the harbor. While the streets are pristine, the harbor has lots of trash floating around.

10. The idea of living in a Cho (house out in town) scares the crap out of me. The Tatami mats are very expensive to replace if damaged and the Shoji, I think that's the proper name (rice rice paper door dividers) are also expensive to replace if broken. Of course neither of MY children would ever think about poking hole in one, right?!



11. When they say rainy season, they really mean rainy season!! Yesterday was the first nice day we’ve had since we got here a week ago and today it has been POURING all day.
12. Rice fields don’t look like I thought they would. I don’t know what I really thought they looked like, but it’s just not what I imagine.

13. Driving on the left hand side of the road and sitting in the "US drivers seat" as a passegers side is really strange.
  That's it for now!! I'm sure that there are more. Maybe I'll come up with a second list at some point!                                                           Have a happy day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment